Storage is not as simple as packing up all your belongings into boxes and putting them in a storage facility. Chemicals, furniture and valuables all need to be treated differently during the big move. In addition, you need to prepare the storage facility for your arrival. Here are some simple tips to keep in mind when getting ready to store your items:
- Be sure to empty gas & oil from small machines.
- No paint storage, solvents, gases or other combustibles, barbeques or propane tanks.
- Put mattresses, sofas & chairs in storage bags.
- Place cardboard or skids on floor of locker to protect furniture.
- Remove legs from tables.
- Leave doors on refrigerators slightly ajar to avoid mildew & moisture damage.
- Drop by the facility to ensure that you have an adequately sized storage space.
- Pack all heavy boxes on the bottom with lighter, more fragile items on top.
- In order to save some space/time & money, sell or donate unwanted items.
- Leave a walkway into the storage space, in order to access items in the rear of your unit.
- Remember to pack items you will need at the front of the locker.
- Fill all boxes to capacity to avoid tipping & collapsing.
- Stack pictures & mirrors on end.
- Store sofa(s) on end if possible to save space. Wrap cushions in plastic.
- Cover items to protect against dust.
- Use an adequately sized lock on the unit. See our office for the correct lock size.
Moving & Packing Tips
When it comes to moving and packing, there is a method to the madness. It requires careful planning before your move as well as specific packing methods. Our tips will help you to spend your time moving and packing more efficiently, causing less stress down the road. Here are some helpful moving and packing tips:
- Start packing at least two weeks before your move date.
- Wrap dishes & glasses individually in packing paper.
- Do not pack fragile & heavy items in the same box.
- List contents on each box & what room it came from.
- Use mattress & sofa bags to keep items clean during the move.
- Put bulky light items in larger boxes.
- Pack smaller boxes with heavier items, such as books.
- Mark fragile on boxes.
- Ensure dresser drawers are strapped or taped shut.
- Use wardrobe boxes to pack clothes directly from the closet(s).
Video Reviews of Green Storage
REQUEST A CALL
Please let us know when we should call you